By Rob George 05/04 Updated: 06/04 09:48
THE PARENTS of the 19-year-old who was sexually assaulted by George Lord have repeated calls for a full independent inquiry into how Worcestershire County Council dealt with their daughter’s complaint.
In a statement following his sentencing to four years in prison on Tuesday (April 3), the couple said: “We would like to thank the police for their outstanding work and the compassion shown to our daughter.
“It’s our understanding there had been a number of complaints regarding Mr Lord’s conduct prior to our daughter’s assault and we would like to know if our daughter’s ordeal was preventable.
“How many more women have had their lives ruined by Lord’s actions? We would like some answers.”
Worcestershire County Council has launched an independent investigation into how the authority supported the teenager after she came forward and made the allegations but chief executive Trish Haines said last month there was ‘no value’ in a full inquiry into the case.
Following the sentence, Mrs Haines said it had drawn a line under a ‘difficult matter’ for the council and encouraged staff to raise concerns with their line manager.
“Employee welfare is of utmost importance to us and we want staff to know we will always listen to any concerns they may have. To give people confidence to pursue their concerns we have a whistle-blowing policy which applies to everyone in the organisation, whatever their position.”
A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of
A MURDER investigation has been launched after the
POLICE investigating robberies at two betting shops in
MORE THAN 1,000 runners from across the country
IT was olé and away as staff at Morrisons Stratford ...
A TOTAL of 26 power tools worth more than £7,000 ...
UNPRECEDENTED seasonal demand is being placed on A&E today (Tuesday). ...
WITNESSES are being sought following an unprovoked assault on a ...