Cigarette sparks flat fire

By Tim Clarke 23/04 Updated: 23/04 13:53

SMOKERS are being urged to take extra care after a lit cigarette caused a flat fire in Worcester which left two people with minor burns.

Two fire crews were called to the flat in Wood House Close at 6.20pm on Saturday, April 21 after a smoke alarm went off.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled a fire in the lounge of the ground floor flat before the smoke was cleared from the property. The two occupants were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Station commander Guy Palmer, from HWFRS, said: “Thanks to an early alert from the smoke alarm and the prompt attendance of fire crews, damage was limited to the lounge area where the fire started.

“However, the fire was caused by a cigarette and we want other smokers to be aware that this has happened and to be extra vigilant themselves.”

He urged smokers to follow simple precautions to avoid a fire in their home including making sure their cigarette is properly put out, as well as getting a smoke alarm fitted and regularly tested.

People are also advised not to smoke in bed and avoid consuming drugs and alcohol when smoking.

Lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes should never be left unattended and people should use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.

Popular Stories »

1 Turkey on the menu as lunch club celebrates

2 Giles Potter misses out on X Factor dream

3 Lack of players sees football team close

4 Fund-raiser could break all records

5 Hundreds of homes planned for west of city

More news »

Shipp-shape Lizzie completes marathon effort

A WORCESTER chaplain proved she was in shipshape

Update: Missing woman found

A YOUNG woman from who went missing yesterday

Local elections: Stalwart Mike leaves his mark

THERE ARE few places in Worcester's civic life

Local elections: Economy the focus for city's Lib Dems

SUPPORTING growth in employment and boosting the economy

Regional news »


Stratford Observer
Ex magistrate blames mechanical fault for Stratford coffee shop crash

A FORMER Warwickshire Magistrate whose car ploughed into a town ...

Bromsgrove Standard
Frankie and Bennys in Rubery is robbed at knifepoint

A WOMAN was punched and threatened with a knife by ...

Redditch Standard
£50,000 worth of fish taken from Redditch reservoir

MORE than £50,000 worth of fish were stolen after thieves ...

Evesham Observer
Family fun day to support good causes

THE PAIN of seeing a loved one's life significantly change ...

Business Directory »

See your advert here »