Cigarette sparks flat fire

By Tim Clarke 23/04 Updated: 24/04 17:22

SMOKERS are being urged to take extra care after a lit cigarette caused a flat fire in Worcester which left two people with minor burns.

Two fire crews were called to the flat in Wood House Close at 6.20pm on Saturday, April 21 after a smoke alarm went off.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled a fire in the lounge of the ground floor flat before the smoke was cleared from the property. The two occupants were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Station commander Guy Palmer, from HWFRS, said: “Thanks to an early alert from the smoke alarm and the prompt attendance of fire crews, damage was limited to the lounge area where the fire started.

“However, the fire was caused by a cigarette and we want other smokers to be aware that this has happened and to be extra vigilant themselves.”

He urged smokers to follow simple precautions to avoid a fire in their home including making sure their cigarette is properly put out, as well as getting a smoke alarm fitted and regularly tested.

People are also advised not to smoke in bed and avoid consuming drugs and alcohol when smoking.

Lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes should never be left unattended and people should use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.

Popular Stories »

1 Bevere development given green light despite opposition

2 Man held after student burglaries

3 Music to remember

4 Concerns raised over Heenans development

5 Lowesmoor homeless block given green light

More news »

Man exposes himself to cyclist in alleyway

A MAN in a raincoat exposed himself to

Sarah ready for Royal performance

A TALENTED young musician is preparing for the

Bright idea will help boost hospice funds

A SOLAR energy company has brought a little

Lord Lieutenant loses cancer battle

THE QUEEN'S representative in the county has died

Regional news »


Stratford Observer
Warwickshire College head quits job

THE PRINCIPAL of Warwickshire College is quitting just weeks after ...

Bromsgrove Standard
Family of missing Hollywood woman make emotional appeal for help

THE FAMILY of Hollywood woman Eve Cullen, who has now ...

Redditch Standard
Family of missing Hollywood woman make emotional appeal for help

THE FAMILY of Hollywood woman Eve Cullen, who has now ...

Evesham Observer
Jack’s charged with a top job

A BROADWAY electrical firm has added a bright spark to ...

Business Directory »

See your advert here »