By Tim Clarke 15/05 Updated: 15/05 11:10
A FIRE above a pub in Worcester could have been far more serious, according to firefighters.
Fire crews were called to the Punchbowl in Lichfield Avenue just before 8pm on Sunday night (May 13) following reports of thick smoke in the upstairs living accommodation, which was unoccupied at the time.
Crews evacuated the rest of the pub before firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the first floor living area and used one hose reel jet to ensure the fire was put out. Ventilation fans were also used to clear out the smoke.
Station Commander Ian Jallands, from HWFRS, said: “The fire was pretty much out as we arrived at the scene as someone from the pub below had discovered the fire and tackled it with a fire extinguisher.
“Damage was limited to the first floor bedroom but this could easily have been a different story as there were no working smoke alarms fitted in the upstairs living area, and it was only by chance that the fire was spotted before it had chance to develop further.”
Firefighters fitted smoke alarms before leaving but will return for a full fire safety visit.
SC Jallands warned people not to take any chances with their safety and said an early alert from a smoke alarm could make all the difference.
MORE THAN 800 runners donned their trainers to
A MOTORCYLIST who was killed when his bike
A SECTION of the M5 at Worcester will
THREE landmark tower blocks in St John's which
HELP is at hand for heart attack victims after life-saving ...
CONFUSING information about where fires are happening is partly to ...
X FACTOR finalists Overload Generation are set to bring in ...