Man rescued from flat after fire breaks out

Tuesday 11 December 2012 Updated: 12/12 14:51

DISCARDED cigarettes and matches are believed to have caused a fire in a block of high rise flats which left a man needing treatment for smoke inhalation.

Four fire crews were sent to Cripplegate House in Tybridge Street just after 2.15pm on Monday (Dec 10) after an automatic fire alarm sounded.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus managed to put out a fire which had started in a first floor flat and a man was also safely evacuated before being treated for the effects of smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.

The blaze caused smoke damage throughout the flat and a small amount of fire damage in a bedroom.

Watch Commander Keith Peters from HWFRS said: “Fortunately the smoke alarm raised the alarm and crews quickly brought the fire under control, without further spread.”

He reminded smokes to take care when disposing of cigarette ends and matches after revealing they had caused the flat fire.

Mr Peters also thanked the residents of other neighbouring flats for their co-operation during the incident.

Regional news »


Stratford Observer
Gaydon/Lighthorne Heath tops housing site list in Stratford

THE BUILDING of a new town in South Warwickshire moved ...

Bromsgrove Standard
Assault gets Rednal woman anti-social behaviour injunction

AN ABUSIVE council tenant from Rednal has received an 18-month ...

Redditch Standard
Themed wedding attracts press for media manager

A BOROUGH communications manager has been attracting press of her ...

Evesham Observer
Bon Chance to the Dream Team

A BUSINESSMAN will soon be putting pedal power to the ...