Hi: 18° Lo:7°
Tuesday 18 December 2012 Updated: 19/12 15:41
GRITTERS will be out on the county's main roads this evening (Tuesday) as temperatures dip below zero.
The county's fleet will be covering primary routes from 6pm as a precaution and motorists are being urged to drive with caution.
To help people travelling in freezing weather this winter a number of tips have been put together. These include:
Before you set off on your journey, do you have:
· Anti-freeze in your cooling system?
· Screen wash additive in your windscreen washers?
· At least 1.6mm depth of tread and the correct air pressures in your tyres?
· Clean lenses on your headlights?
· Properly working heaters and demisters?
Planning your journey is vitally important in adverse conditions. Taking the following steps before you leave could prevent problems out on the roads:
· Check the local weather forecast.
· Check the driving conditions on your route with your local radio station.
· Take extra equipment with you, e.g. mobile phone, spade, towrope, torch, flask, warm and highly visible clothing and spare pieces of old carpet to place under your wheels for traction in case you get stuck in snow
· Make sure someone at your destination is expecting you at a certain time.
Adjust your driving to the conditions
Driving on ice or snow needs extra care:
· Use dipped headlights and drive more slowly than usual.
· Allow up to ten times your normal stopping distance.
· Keep your distance from vehicles ahead of you.
· To avoid skidding, brake very gently or ease off the accelerator early.
· If you have to abandon your vehicle try not to block the road; snow-ploughs, gritters and emergency vehicles may need to come past.
· Keep windscreens clean.
Anyone looking to find out more can do so via www.worcestershire.gov.uk/gritting
The section allows visitors to use interactive maps to follow the designated routes, pinpoint their nearest grit bin and report any problems the winter's harsh weather may bring via the web.
Sorry, not available
MILLIONS of viewers will be able to learn
MOTORISTS who still have fears over the safety
CAMPAIGNERS in Kempsey are urging people to sign
CHILDREN told the story of a grumpy camel
HOUSE prices in Stratford district are among the least affordable ...
PETROL-HEADS can get themselves down to Webbs in Wychbold on ...
TWO YOUNG men who abused a police officer have been ...