Man rescued from flat after fire breaks out

Tuesday 11 December 2012 Updated: 12/12 14:51

DISCARDED cigarettes and matches are believed to have caused a fire in a block of high rise flats which left a man needing treatment for smoke inhalation.

Four fire crews were sent to Cripplegate House in Tybridge Street just after 2.15pm on Monday (Dec 10) after an automatic fire alarm sounded.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus managed to put out a fire which had started in a first floor flat and a man was also safely evacuated before being treated for the effects of smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.

The blaze caused smoke damage throughout the flat and a small amount of fire damage in a bedroom.

Watch Commander Keith Peters from HWFRS said: “Fortunately the smoke alarm raised the alarm and crews quickly brought the fire under control, without further spread.”

He reminded smokes to take care when disposing of cigarette ends and matches after revealing they had caused the flat fire.

Mr Peters also thanked the residents of other neighbouring flats for their co-operation during the incident.

Regional news »


Stratford Observer
Anger at Rowley Fields development plans

ANGER has greeted news Stratford Town Trust is looking to ...

Bromsgrove Standard
Firefighters battling blaze in derelict Bromsgrove building

FIREFIGHTERS battled a serious blaze which broke out on the ...

Redditch Standard
Elderly benefits cheat must complete unpaid work

AN ELDERLY benefits cheat has been ordered to complete 60 ...

Evesham Observer
New head aims for exceptional in three years

THE NEW Headteacher of The De Montfort School hopes his ...